Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Bargain Hutch Facelift

It has been awhile since my last post. I have a list a mile long of projects and now I am finally getting to it! I am starting off with smaller things. Like painting mirror frames:

Forgive me for not cleaning the glass first. I just took a quick shot of it when I finished it. I bought this mirror for $5 at a yard sale and it was a spray painted gold color... If you don't know me then you do not know how much I am NOT a fan of gold. My color scheme for pretty much the whole house are greys, whites, and shades of blues. I decided to go with this color of teal because it would look great in my master suite when I remodel it and because well it was left over paint from my dining room table project. So for a whole $5 I have a pretty bold looking mirror (that desperately needs cleaned)

While I was piddling around with small projects like that mirror I pretty much searched Craigslist every day for some sort of hutch or cabinet that I could add my own touches to. I wanted it to be real wood, solid (did not have to be pretty) and affordable. SOooo after about a couple months of looking I stumbled upon this gem. It was exactly what I had been looking for. It had character but was not too ornate. I liked the simple lines and thought it would go great with my farm house decor. It is a hand made piece made about 80 years ago. To me that makes it even more special. I love when something has that personal touch to it. 
Best of all it was only $100!  

It was really beautiful as it was, however the wood tone did not fit with my decor and I really wanted a piece to stand out and pop in my living room. The walls are grey and the couches are black. The tables are cream with a dark wood grain top. There are little splashes of blue here and there. So I knew I really wanted to go with color! Visit here to see what the entire living room looks like. 

I again decided to go with the left over teal paint. I have decided that I want there to be a teal piece in every room. When I am done painting every room aside from the kids rooms they will be some shade of grey. I was inspired by my dining table and decided to recreate a similar look with this cabinet. View here to catch a glimpse of the dining table. (I wish I took a full picture! kitchen remodel will be coming soon so there will be a better one coming!)

I only painted one coat of paint because I wanted to allow some of the wood to show through in the brush strokes. You know to add to the whole distressed farmhouse look. I allowed it to all dry and sanded at the edges and after one afternoon of work and a serious sun burn... I have one of my most favorite pieces of furniture! 

Drum roll.....


Ohhh how I love it! I also decided to leave the backing wood because I thought it allowed it to remain warm and natural. I love the details that gave it so much character without making it over done.



And this bowl that I had found at TJMaxx for $12 went with it perfectly! I bought the kraft paper eggs from Michaels forever ago and decided to finally use them. I am a hoarder of craft materials... at least it pays off.


So there is my handwork! I am beyond thrilled with it! I will be white washing my fire place soon... and crossing my fingers that new floors are in the near future! When that is all complete I will be definitely be posting and updated version to my living room progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment