Wednesday, August 28, 2013

No Sew Chair Upholstery



Hi All!

This is a project that I did a couple of months ago. I had bought this chair at a thrift store for $15 and it set around my house forever. I always wanted to fancy it up. The cushion on it was lumpy, the spring was falling out of the bottom. The fabric was dingy. So I first had to fix the bottom. I screwed the spring back in making sure I re-enforced it and then I spray painted the legs a flat black. I used one of the pieces of fabric that I use to use as a backdrop for photographing newborns. I broke out my moms air staple gun and got to work. (I do not know how to sew and honestly a sewing machine scares the heck out of me). I started with the back piece. I measured out how much I needed. tried to center the fabric the best that I could... It is not perfect but not completely noticeable either. I stapled it around all of the edges pulling it as tight as I could. I did the same with the seat but before finishing it up I left one side not stapled and stuff the lacking part of the seat with pillow stuffing that I had laying around from a previous project. I am such a hoarder when it comes to craft supplies. I stuffed it and smoothed until it was full and fluffy. Then I finished up the stapling. On the sides of the back of the chair the staples were exposed and I needed to find a way to hide them. I found a perfect ribbon at Walmart that was like rolled fabric flowers. I bought two spools for $3 a piece. I stapled it to the chair making sure to place the staples inside the flowers where they would be all covered up.The chair was then finished. So for a total of $21 (using materials that I already had) I now have a fancy new chair. This is the same fabric that I used on my daughter's vanity stool. After seeing the chair she asked if we could put it in her room and I honestly could not think of a better place for it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment