Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Night Stand Transformations.

This is the second time that I have painted these night stands. The first time was this black shiny finish with some funky art on it. This guitar one was on Andrew's side of the bed. Mine had birds and leaves on it. Stuff we were interested in. With the direction I am going with the bedroom they no longer worked. I didn't really want to buy new night stands because well I do not really like spending money. ( These were given to me like 9 years ago!) This post is actually going to have two projects in it. Besides repainting the night stands I also bought these trays from Michaels for $4.99 and the wood applique for $3 and knew they would be great for night stand decor. 

 I used left over grey paint from the living room. It is a shade darker than the bedroom wall and a big warmer. I mixed it up as chalk paint and set to work. I did slight distressing but nothing major. I used Minwax finishing paste to put a protective finish on it. I did not buff it too much because I liked the matte finish.
 To do the trays I first painted them. I mixed up my own color using teal and grey. It came out a little green but it was pretty so I used it. I painted the appliques and applied a little dark wax to bring out the details. Then I mod podged strips of scrap book paper in the bottom and applied poly acrylic over that to really seal everything down.
I had tossed the old hard ware to the night stands because I didn't like them. So I really needed to do something because being lighter it was a whole lot more noticeable. So I made a trip to Michaels and bought wooden plaques ranging from under a $1 to $1.50. I painted them white and on a couple added some floral details. Yes the flowers are free handed instead of stenciled but I think they look pretty good! I got the knobs from World Market. They were so perfect! Just the right amount of detail! 
 Here is the finished styled night stand. That is the mirror that I had posted in a previous post. And if you have seen my post on the old doors then here is a peek at what they were used for! 


No comments:

Post a Comment